Monday, October 13, 2008

Thank you Isa Chandra Moskowitz




Sometimes I just can't believe how awesome some of the recipes in 'Vegan with a Vengeance' are! I had planned for this week to have this easy pasta dish made with olive tapenade...Mostly I was thinking simple, fast and I am sure tasty. It actually turned out so much better than I had anticipated. Let me share.........

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1/2 lb. orechiette
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium-sized red onion, sliced into thin half moons (about 1 cup)
1 lb cherry tomatoes, halved

For the tapenade:

1 1/2 cups kalamata olives, pitted
3 tbsp capers, drained
2 cloves of garlic (or if you are me--4!)
handful of fresh parsley
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
a few dashes of fresh ground pepper
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil

Prepare the tapenade:
combine all the tapenade ingredients in a blender or food processor.

Prepare everything else:
prepare the pasta according to its package directions. while the pasta is boiling saute the onions and cherry tomatoes in the olive oil over medium heat for about 7 minutes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently adding that little bit of red wine vinegar is what makes a tapenade awesome. I cannot believe I am just learning this. If you invite me to a party. Guess what I am bringing?

2 comments:

Amy Ellen said...

Oh my that looks tasty tasty! I bet the sauteed tomatoes were an awesome contrast to the tapenade.

I had no idea that the red wine vinegar made it a tapenade! Yum!

A lady and her family. said...

it was so delicious!

oh and i should have been more clear...the red wine vinegar just made it super awesome. just adding red wine vinegar doesn't make it a tapenade. ha! :)